Dry skin is irritating, uncomfortable, as well as hassle to control. A high quality, effective moisturizer will save the day, and your skin.
There are many fantastic moisturizers for dry skin on the market with modest price tags. In this article, we will explore the key features to consider when buying a moisturizer for dry skin, as well as provide you with our list of the top ten best cheap moisturizers for dry skin in 2021.
- Features to Consider in Cheap Moisturisers for Dry Skin
- The 10 Best Cheap Moisturisers for Dry Skin 2021
- 1. L’oreal Hydra-Renewal Continuous Moisture Cream
- 2. Amara Organics Hyaluronic Acid Serum for Skin with Vitamin C & E
- 3. CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion
- 4. Neutrogena Hydro Boost Hyaluronic Acid Face moisturizer Gel-Cream
- 5. Cetaphil Moisturising Cream for Very Dry, Sensitive Skin
- 6. Curel Ultra Healing Intensive Lotion
- 7. Jergens Ultra Healing Extra Dry Skin Moisturizer
- 8. Eucerin Daily Protection Face Lotion SPF 30
- 9. Aveeno Ultra-Calming Daily Moisturiser for Sensitive Skin with SPF 15
- 10. St. Ives Renewing Collagen and Elastin moisturizer
Features to Consider in Cheap Moisturisers for Dry Skin
You’ve come to the right place for a comprehensive guide to the best cheap moisturizers for dry skin in 2021. Before we get into the product reviews, here’s a quick guide to choosing a moisturizer for dry skin:
Purpose of the Cream
When you start to shop for skin moisturizers take a look at the brand and product description. It will specify which skin type it is best suited for. Choose one that specifies “dry” or “very dry” skin. Dry skin moisturizers are formulated with a thicker consistency, deliver more emollient, and are richer in content. The purpose of dry skin moisturizers is different from skin moisturizers that combat oily skin.
SPF (For Day Creams)
When choosing a day cream, SPF is essential. The only exception to the rule is if you have a hard-and-fast habit of adding sunscreen to your daily skincare routine. However, it is a rule that not every person has a tendency to follow. It is especially true if your skin is sensitive to strong sunscreens.
As a result, consider a skin moisturizer that multitasks and is capable of doubling as a sunscreen. When choosing a day cream look for one with an SPF of at least 15. The higher the SPF the better.
Sun protection is crucial to keeping your skin healthy and moist. When dry skin gets damaged by the sun, the dryness is exaggerated and even more uncomfortable as any remaining moisture has been sucked away. Plus, SPF helps to keep you looking young and fresh, with fewer lines, wrinkles, discoloration, and dark spots.
Fragrance-Free Formula (for sensitive skin)
If you have sensitive skin fragrances and scents are bad news. Look for a moisturizer which specifies “fragrance-free” on the packaging. You want as few unnecessary ingredients as possible. It allows the nourishing, hydrating ingredients to work their magic.
Rich, Thick Consistency (for night creams)
For dry skin: a thick, rich consistency is going to prove the most beneficial, especially during the night when your skin naturally loses moisture. Thick, emollient creams are effective to gently massage into your skin before bed. It adds a layer of moisture and nourishment that your skin can absorb as you sleep.
Oil-Free Formula (for dry skin which tends to clog)
An oil-free formula is especially important for people with dry and oily skin. It is possible to experience both even when your skin is dry, rough, and flaky. The skin can still produce an oily and shiny presentation that is prone to clog your pores. If your skin matches this description, then look for a moisturizer with “oil-free” or “non-comedogenic” on the label.
For extra dry patches of skin which don’t fall prey to oiliness, you can add a spot-treatment layer of serum or oil to treat the dryness. There are numerous ways to approach dry and oily skin. The important thing to remember is oily skin needs moisture too. If you deprive the skin of moisture, your glands can actually go into overdrive and produce even more oil.
Hyaluronic acid is an important skincare ingredient for people with dry skin. Hyaluronic acid helps the skin hold onto moisture and even helps to fight the damaging effects of UV rays. It is also a popular anti-aging ingredient as it often goes hand-in-hand with dry skin treatments. People generally experience drier skin as they age.
The 10 Best Cheap Moisturisers for Dry Skin 2021
Here are our choices for the top ten moisturizers for dry skin. Our reviews cover the features and performance of each product. We also quickly list out the pros and cons. It will help you decide which product is the best pick for you and your skin.
NOTE: Some of these moisturizers are for the body, some are for the face, and some are great for both face and body. We have also included a couple of serums as they are a vital skincare step for extremely dry, dehydrated skin.
- Vitamin B5 for supporting dry skin and adding moisture.
- Sold in a jar to control how much you use on a daily basis.
- It is specifically created for dry and/or sensitive skin.
The cream performs well thanks to the lightweight yet hydrating formula. Some people prefer to use it as a morning moisturizer to layer beneath SPF and makeup. During nights the product can transition to layer with serums or eye creams. Regardless of the intended use the L’oreal Hydra-Renewal Continuous Moisture Cream will not cause makeup to break down or create an overly shiny look because of its light texture.
- Organic, cruelty-free, fragrance-free, vegan formula.
- Mess-free pump bottle with cap for easy application.
- Anti-aging ingredients included in formula.
- Serum formula for layering with creams and moisturizers.
- Designed to lock moisture into the skin and create a hydrating barrier (thanks to the hyaluronic acid).
The product can get smoothed onto your skin after cleaning and before you add skin moisturizer because it is a serum as opposed to cream or lotion. The serum adds an extra layer of hydration to dry, exposed skin. Hyaluronic acid creates a barrier of moisture and draws hydration into the skin, keeping it plump and comfy all day. Unfortunately, signs of aging such as wrinkles, dullness, and fine lines are often exaggerated for people with dry skin as the plumpness and elasticity are reduced by the lack of hydration and moisture. As a result, the addition of vitamin C & E in the product serves as a protective barrier against aging. The serum performs beautifully in the day and night.
- The formula contains three types of ceramides as well as hyaluronic acid.
- Lightweight formula that works well day or night.
- Oil free, and non-comedogenic product.
- Skin moisturizer is very lightweight and non-irritating for sensitive skin.
The CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion is created by leading dermatologists. The lightweight formula hydrates the skin day and night. It helps to restore the protective skin barrier often lost due to dry skin. The formula contains three essential ceramides (1, 3, 6-11). It also has the highly desirable hyaluronic acid in its blend. Its ideal user is defined as someone with normal to moderate dry skin. It may not do enough for those with extremely dry or dehydrated skin.
- Jar-style design makes it easy to use.
- A gel-cream formula for hydration without oiliness.
- Designed for layering with SPF creams and makeup.
The product absorbs into the skin easily without leaving a greasy or oil residue because of the gel-like texture. It is ideal for people with dry skin who also experience oiliness and breakouts. The gel-cream formula is cooling and smooth to apply to the skin. It also works well under makeup. Use during day or night.
- The jar is a great method for getting the right amount of cream each time.
- Fragrance-free formula that is gentle on sensitive skin.
- Designed to lock moisture into the skin and prevent moisture loss.
- Suitable for the body and face (if your skin is extremely dry on the face).
While some people find the cream a little too rich to use on the face, others with very dry, dehydrated and rough skin find it ideal. It sinks into the skin after a short amount of time, leaving a moisturizing barrier to lock hydration into the skin. It works well for layering if being applied with makeup during the day. You can also layer the Cetaphil Moisturising Cream with oils and serums at night. We love the fragrance-free, sensitive formula which won’t irritate the most delicate of skin types.
$10 f/9 ounce package (also sold in other sizes)
- Comes in a handy, easy to use pump bottle.
- Contains ceramide complex to help retain moisture.
- Contains oatmeal extracts to calm dry, flaky, irritated skin.
- The moisturizer is suitable for the body and face.
- Clinically proven to restore moisture to very dry skin.
While the Curel Ultra Healing Intensive Lotion is not strictly marketed as a face product, it is gentle enough to use on that portion of your body. The formula is suitable for faces that are extremely dry, rough, flaky, and uncomfortable. Customers have attested to how great the moisturizer is for the face as well as the body. It doesn’t contain fragrance, which is a huge plus for dry, sensitive skin. In terms of oiliness or grease, it performs really well. The Curel Ultra Healing Intensive Lotion will hydrate the skin without leaving a layer of shine. It makes it great for layering beneath makeup during the day and using with oils and serums at night.
- Pump bottle for mess-free usage and storage.
- Designed for extra hydration deep into the layers of the skin.
- Fragranced moisturizer that some people love, some people hate.
- Contains vitamins for nourishing and healing dry, tired skin.
- Designed for the body, however, some claim it works well on the face too.
We recommend the skin moisturizer for the body, as it does contain fragrance which isn’t the best ingredient for the face. The formula is rich and moisturizes, yet light and absorbent enough to avoid leaving greasy or oily residue. A blend of vitamins penetrates deep into the layers of the skin to hydrate and moisturize dry skin so it turns from dull to luminous. It is ideal for legs and arms to make them absolutely glow. If you intend to use for the face make sure you first do a patch test. The product does have fragrance and is potentially unsuitable for very sensitive facial skin.
- Mess-free pump bottle with cap for easy use.
- The product serves double duty as sunscreen with SPF 30 protection.
- Tested for sensitive skin to deliver reliable results.
- Designed for daytime use.
The cream performs really well for dry skin during the day. It’s not extremely rich or thick, so it works best for people with moderately dry skin. The Eucerin Daily Protection Face Lotion absorbs quickly without leaving a greasy layer. Then it locks moisture into the facial skin all day long. The lotion is also ideal for layers below makeup because it also includes sun protection.
$8 p/ bottle
- Mess-free pump bottle for easy use.
- Sensitive-friendly formula works well on all skin types.
- Calms redness and irritated skin as well as hydrating dry patches.
- Protects the skin from UV damage with SPF 15.
The moisturizer is technically designed for sensitive skin yet also works well for dry skin that is cracked, irritated, or uncomfortable. Many people experience sore, irritated skin during times of extreme dryness. The Aveeno Ultra-Calming Daily Moisturizer will hydrate the skin while calming down redness and making your skin feel more comfortable. It is light enough due to the non-greasy formula, so you can layer it with richer products such as oils and serums during the day. The SPF 15 adds a protective layer to prevent your dryness from being exacerbated by sun exposure.
- Jar-style container with a screw-top lid for no-spill storage.
- Collagen and elastin for anti-aging properties as well as hydration.
- Safflower seed oil for reducing roughness and adding a youthful glow.
- Designed for hydration without greasy or oily residue.
The facial cream is light yet hydrating. It makes it ideal for oily skin. The moisturizer absorbs and sinks into the skin after applying. As a result, it leaves the skin soft and comfortable without shininess or excess oil. Therefore, the formula compliments makeup with a soft, smooth canvas that doesn’t create oil which can corrode and smudge makeup. The product is gentle enough to use day or night, but do remember to layer an SPF over the top for daytime use. It is excellent for skin which is dry and prone to oiliness as well.